Friday, April 22, 2011

Gift Giving Galore

The last few months, I haven't had much knitting that I could show because it's been super secret swap and gift knitting. Now that the packages have been received though, I'm free to show off what I've been working on of late.

The first is for a swap organised through The Knitgirllls forum on Ravelry. I decided on a deceptively simple and elegant shawl for my swappee, out of a gorgeous silk/merino blend yarn. Although the pattern doesn't look complicated, the mesh pattern was actually harder than it looks, although it flows easily once you get the hang of it.

The shawl was much appreciated by its recipient, who loved the colour and yarn I picked out. I also enclosed some samples of Australian goodies, as my swappee lives in America.

Yarn: Knitabulous Fifty Fifty - Tokyo Rose
Pattern: Sarai by Vanessa Smith
Duration: Started 29th January 2011 - Completed 15th March 2011

The other item I've finished recently is a pair of socks that my mother asked me to knit for her manager's birthday. Always looking for opportunities to induct another person into the cult of hand knitted socks, I readily agreed and worked my fingers to the bone to make sure these were completed in time.

My mum's boss was absolutely blown away by the socks, as she wasn't expecting them at all. She had admired my mum's socks, but was told that only 'special' people got socks knitted for them. She actually spent the entire weekend after receiving them, showing them off to all her friends!

I wasn't too happy with some of the pooling on one of the socks, as I'm a little obsessive regarding socks matching, but other than that, I'm quite happy with how these socks turned out.

Yarn: Colinette Jitterbug - Raphael
Pattern: Sock Recipe: A Good, Plain Sock by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Duration: Started 13th March 2011 - Completed 31st March 2011

Now that I'm finished with all this gift knitting, I can actually work on something for me, before I start work on mum's Mothers Day socks. The weather's getting cooler, and I desperately need another pair of fingerless gloves. Nothing like a bit of cold weather to get the motivation going...

No comments:

Post a Comment